Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Day 1

 
 

Back in April, my 12 year old kittyman Stink, developed some sneezing, which I chopped up to be some seasonal allergies that he has suffered from in the past.  One day he had a sneezing fit so awful, his nose began to bleed.  Turns out some innocent sneezing was no allergy at all, but the beginning of a road that I never wanted to take a ride down.  Large cell lymphoma had invaded the cutest most kissable part of my Stinkaroo's face... His big adorable kitty nose.  This of course couldn't be an easy diagnosis since I am a certified vet tech.  The first biopsy came back inconclusive, and I was naive, hoping for this unsightly growth to be some kind of polyp.  About a month later, it came back with full force.  Biopsy number two was sent to the University of Pennsylvania, and this was when he was diagnosed with large cell lympho, an aggressive cancer that can tear a cat's face apart.  I was extremely devastated since I have seen cases like Stinky's before.  I was given a few options:

1) Radiation therapy at a cost of 5k and 4 weeks of daily radiation, which could lead to loss of eyesight and facial lesions.  Apparently this particular cancer responds well to this treatment, but let's be honest, I don't have 5k to just spend and I'm petty sure Stink wants to keep his eyes.

2) Chemotherapy, which consist of weekly injections and pills, numerous trips to the vets, and tons of blood work to monitor his WBC counts.

3) Quality of life monitoring... Which I would feel so guilty about...letting my best friend just wither away without trying anything at all.

So, being a CVT, I decided on chemotherapy.  Our current plan is to start his rounds of chemo at Penn, and if all goes well, continue treatments at the hospital I work at.  The treatments could not have started fast enough because just this past weekend, his other nostril began to swell and a small growth started to form under his nose. This is going to be one hell of a learning experience for me, and a long road for my main man.  Feel free to follow us on out blind journey through chemo and hopefully a big win against cancer!

 
Today he received his first dose of Vinblastine, a drug that invades cancer cells and interferes with their cell dividing/growth.  So far, so good.  Eating well and acting normal.  Penn (U of P) gave us some anti-nausea pills in case he has some stomach issues.  On Monday, Stink has to have a CBC done to check his neutrophil levels.  If all goes as planned, he starts his Cytoxin next Wednesday.

1 comment: